Wednesday, July 10, 2013

More Beach Fun

The Lantinga family crabbing method, with a stick and
an abandoned badminton racket.
We've been exploring different beaches as cheap entertainment.  We like low tide the best and figured out how to access and read tide tables for our area; low tide means exposed rocks and tide pools where we can play with crabs, find starfish, etc.  We also get to watch OTHER people hunting for crabs for lunch, and they like watching US crazy Americans giggle and ignore the Evil Sun on our Skin.  So, a bunch of beach-ish pictures from this week.
Korean crabbing method: he prodded the crabs
with a stick and she used chopsticks to grab them.



Korean kids keep the collected crabs for lunchtime.

The water was VERY cold.
I bet David 20,000 won (about $19) that he wouldn't swim out
to grab a bobber that Sam just hurled about 40' from shore.
He did it - but with much screaming and pain.
Then Sam and Elisabeth did it, too.  I was out $60.
David  under one of the beach tents.
Elisabeth looking for shells
Trying to get a picture of Sam -
didn't realize David was in the background



Weird flat fish with spines all around it.
David holding some tiny gulls. : )
blackish-purple clams stuck to the rocks
Dead starfish - glued to rock
Living starfish - orange on bottom, gray on top


Gotta love the pink lighthouse.

Sam's picture of me - he and David reflected in my glasses
Dead jelly!


Living jelly - about 12" across - fascinating to watch in the shallow water.
David chillin on the beach -
hot sun on his back, cold water on his belly




2 comments:

  1. Good to see a picture of you this time. Sounds like quite the adventure. I miss seeing you around Dordt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherri, I just saw your comment over on my site. Sounds like an adventure. I was at Jukdo a couple winters ago and saw a shark being sold piece by piece. I feel like every time I go I see something new. I just found your blog and think it's pretty great. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, questions, insights, etc. :)